Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Reflecting on Martin Luther King Jr. holiday

Washington D.C. – weekend of Jan. 19-21, 2013 


Martin Luther King Jr. monument, Photo by Liz Cezat.
I had a fantastic long weekend in Washington D.C. Seeing two of my four brothers and their families, spending quality time together and touring historic sites was a winning combination. I love being on the go and this was a busy, fun and historic weekend.
Aside from the unforgettable inauguration events, another highlight wouldn’t have been possible without my brother Phil’s persistence. Upon learning that I hadn’t seen the Martin Luther King Jr. monument, he was determined that I do so. The problem was – with the MLK holiday only two days away – the monument was very crowded.  We circled around the sweeping boulevard near the monument yet there was nowhere to park.
I said, “Forget it. I don’t need to see it.” However, Phil persisted. He found a parking spot about 1-1/2 mile away and said, “Look, it’s right there,” pointing across the Tidal Basin. “We’ll walk together.” How could I resist? Despite tired feet throbbing in my old New Balance shoes, I gave in. (I had beat myself up repeatedly about not having brought my Merrill hiking shoes and Merino wool socks.)

Midway to the monument, Phil said, “Keep walking. I’m going to drive over to the fish market to get salmon for dinner. I’ll pick you up at the monument after you’re done.” I wasn’t really thrilled with that decision but agreed.
Seeing the monument from afar made it seem closer than it actually was. (Recall the sign on your rearview mirror that says, “Objects are closer than they appear.” In this case, it was the opposite.) I trudged on and eventually arrived at the monument.
It was about 4 p.m. and the late afternoon sun cast shadows, making it hard for me to see. I was trying to take pictures of the quotes engraved in the marble wall while dodging or bumping into people that I didn’t see due to those shadows.
Martin Luther King Jr. monument, Photo by Liz Cezat.
I snapped some pretty good photos of the quotes that resonated with me. I got to thinking that this man – Martin Luther King Jr. – was a minister whose words not only inspired people but transformed a nation, first through awareness then through concerted action. As that understanding seeped in, it awakened me. Tears welled in my eyes. Thankfully, I was wearing sunglasses to hide them.
I leaned against a short stone wall that stood between the Tidal Basin and Martin Luther King Jr.’s figure emerging from a massive stone. I watched families taking pictures of their loved ones in front of the giant replica of this legendary civil rights leader. They looked happy and hopeful.
Seeing the monument was monumental. I got it. Martin Luther King Jr. figuratively moved a mountain of prejudice and oppression. Now, everyday people come to this memorial to pay tribute to the man and the trail that he blazed for our benefit.
The next time Martin Luther King Jr. holiday comes around, don’t just look at it as another day off of work, an extended weekend or day of sales at Macy’s. Rather, reflect on what this man has done for each and every one of us. His vision and fight for equality of races, world peace and prosperity for all is something that we must hold dear in this generation and for generations to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome (English only please) and will be reviewed before posted.