Friday, November 23, 2012

Get more nature into your life

 A stroll along Lake Huron in Michigan on a frosty winter day.
When was the last time you took a walk in the woods? Strolled a beach at sunrise? Took some gear - a bike, skis, running shoes, roller-blades – and found a trail to explore?

Nature keeps us grounded.


Communing with nature is more delightful to me than dining at a five-star restaurant. It stimulates all the senses. It’s food for my heart - I often find myself saying, "I love this place.” Nature rewires my brain – at times I find solutions to perplexing problems that have troubled me. The majestic scenes of towering mountains, verdant pine trees, a pattern of stones in a rocky path ... all these visions become absorbed into my soul and my psyche.

Whether it’s immersing myself into the cool, clear water of Lake Michigan on a hot day or trying to get my footing on a tricky rocky path along Mount Rainier, touching – the feel of the place – further makes it an indelible experience. Listening to the sounds of nature – the roar of a waterfall, the tweeting of a bird, the soulful sound of a frog … these add to the wonder of being in a natural setting.

You don’t have to travel far to get immersed in nature. Heck even NYC has Central Park. Check out what’s around your neighborhood and in your community. One of my favorite places to walk is at a nearby school complex that is close to a track yet also has woods and a pond.

While everyone else is at the mall battling crowds to get the latest technology gadget as a gift, why not go to a local park or woods and just explore? Set a new tradition for the holiday season – infuse some nature into the crazy focus on consuming, buying, rushing and never having enough time to do it all. Let in a breath of fresh air with a walk on the wild side. Report back on your experiences – what did it do for you?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome (English only please) and will be reviewed before posted.